There are many capable attorneys in the area so we do not list individuals.Elderlaw attourneys can be found through the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys Registry http://www.naela.org or local referral sources listed below.
An Estate is the tangible assets of real and property belonging to someone.
A Will is the written legal document for distribution of someone's property.
A Trust enables the transfer of property without going through probate(legate process).
A Durable Power of Attorney is a written document in which a person appoints someone else to act on his/her behalf. Most commonly, one is made for health care decisions and one for financial decisions.
A Living Will indicates your thoughts about the decisions you would like to have made at the end of life.
An Advance Directive often includes Power of Attorney and Living Will.
There are templates for these documents on line. Each state has different regulations about whether you can create it yourself or if you need an attorney. Some people prefer the Five Wishes documents which can be found at http://www.agingwithdignity.org/five-wishes.php
It is also recommended that you write a HIPAA release, which gives your doctors permission to discuss your medical information with the people you specify. This can help in a situation when you are able to make decisions for yourself but others need to be included to help you get the treatment you need.
AARP LEGAL SERVICES NETWORK
- Members are entitled to a free 30-minute legal consultation with a local attorney who meets AARP standards. Reduced fees for simple wills, powers of attorney and other legal services.
- For a list of local participating attorneys look in your Yellow Pages in the "Associations," "Attorneys," or "Lawyers" sections, and then under the heading "AARP - Legal Services Network."
- LSN Fulfillment, P O Box 100084, Pittsburgh, PA 15233
- List also available online at www.aarp.org/LSN
ADULT PROTECTIVE SERVICES
Abuse & neglect: See Government Agencies- NJ Department of Health & Senior Services
ALLLAW.COM- Wills, Trusts, Estates
MERCER COUNTY LEGAL SERVICES PROJECT FOR THE ELDERLY
- Provides legal advice and/or representation in non-fee gathering matters: power of attorney, wills for small estates, Social Security and Medicare problems, consumer matters, tenants' rights, divorces, property problems. For Mercer Co. residents aged 60 and over.
- Call for appointments at the office or at the Lawrence Library.
- 198 W. State St, Trenton, NJ 08608.
- (609) 695-6249
COMMUNITY HEALTH LAW PROJECT
- CHLP represents elderly and disabled who are unable to afford the services of private attorneys. CHLP attorneys, social service advocates and volunteers serve vulnerable people who are in crisis and at risk of losing their homes, their income, their health care and other essential components of their lives. Must be income-eligible (75% poverty level). Click here for current federal poverty levels.
- 225 E. State St. Trenton, 08608
- (609) 392-5553
- web site: http://www.chlp.org
COMMUNITY JUSTICE CENTER
- Legal assistance for disabled low income people and veterans, including help obtaining veterans or social security benefits
- 310 W. State St. Trenton, 08618
- (609) 218-5120
- web site: www.jn-communityjusticecenter.org
- Assistance to estate executors.
- NOT a legal service
- PO Box 7244, Princeton, NJ 08540
- (609) 252-1222
- 198 W. State St. Trenton, NJ 08608
- (609) 695-6249
LEGAL COUNSEL FOR THE ELDERLY
This organization, which provides legal services for the elderly in Washington DC, has a number of publications for sale on its web site: http://seniors-site.com/library/legalcou.html
LEGAL SERVICES OF NEW JERSEY
- 100 Metroplex Dr, Ste 402, Edison, NJ 08817
- 888 576-5529
- Free legal help over the phone for low-income people. Includes HCAP program for problems with healthcare system.
- Web site: www.LSNJLAW.org or www.eldercare.gov
MERCER COUNTY LAWYER REFERRAL SERVICE (BAR ASSOC.)
- Prepares wills, if referred through CJLSP for eligibility, (see above), referrals for Power of Attorney.
- In-home service for the elderly homebound and other services provided.
- 1245 Whitehorse-Mercerville Rd. Ste 420, Mercerville, NJ 08619.
- (609) 585-6200
Quakerbridge Mall, Lawrence. Upper level. 2nd Wed. of month, 5:30-7 pm. Attorneys give 15 minutes free legal advice or direction to Mercer Co. residents.
MERCER COUNTY SURROGATE'S OFFICE
- Probate of wills, administration of estates, appointment of guardian for incapacitated persons, contested will filings
- Surrogate schedules monthly sessions at the Princeton Township Building, currently the 4th Thursday of the month 9:30 - 11:30 am. Call (609) 989-6336 for appointment, and for other locations.
- 175 S. Broad St., Rm 420, Trenton NJ 08608
- (609) 989-6331
MID-ATLANTIC PENSION RIGHTS PROJECT
- Administration on Aging, providing free pension and retirement savings plan counseling and assistance.
- The Public Advocate Office, serving New York & New Jersey
- 1 Centre Street, 15th Floor, New York NY 10007
- 800 355-7714
- Web site: www.legalservicesnyc.org
NATIONAL ACADEMY OF ELDER LAW ATTORNEYS REGISTRY
- For a referral to a local elderlaw attorney:
- Web site: www.naela.org
- 703 942-5711
NEW JERSEY DIVISION OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS
NEW JERSEY STATE BAR FOUNDATION
- Publishes guides, videos and on-line audios on topics for seniors including wills, and law points for seniors, including eldercare, grandparents rights, disabilities, and age discrimination at work. Use the search function to seek out information on specific issues. The web site below is for the comprehensive brochure "Law Points for Senior Citizens".
OMBUDSMAN & ADVOCATE:
See New Jersey Department of Health & Human Services, under Government Agencies
VICTIM / WITNESS ADVOCACY PROGRAM
- Mercer County Prosecutor's Office
- Assist persons who are victims of violent crime
- Liaison for persons needing assistance who are victims of crime and want
- (609) 989-6428 or (609) 989-6274
- Victims of domestic violence, call (609) 989-6810
Look also in the Financial Planning section for related links on Estate Planning.
The Princeton Senior Resource Center does not endorse any of the resources listed on these pages. We collect and provide information from many sources as a service to those seeking services in the Princeton area. No listed provider pays to be in our directory.