People are prompted to seek an assisted living facility when they experience difficulties with the activities of daily living (ADLs). ADLs include toileting, bathing, dressing and undressing, feeding, and transferring in and out of a chair or bed.
Assisted living promotes resident self-direction, privacy and dignity in homelike surroundings. The residential units are unfurnished and may vary in size from a single room to a 1–2 bedroom apartment. Assisted living facilities provide private units, congregate meals, and 24-hour supervision. Available services include personal care, supervision of medications, activities, and social services. Additional services may be available for an additional fee. There may be a nurse on staff, but not necessarily on duty 24 hours. Some facilities provide for patients with Alzheimer’s Disease and related disorders in separate wings. Residents who need a higher level of care (staff ratio) are charged a higher rate. While most Assisted Living communities try to serve their residents as long as possible, they may recommend moving to a long-term skilled care facility.
Assisted living facilities are usually owned by for-profit organizations, many by multi-facility corporations. Typically, there is a basic monthly fee with extra fees for additional services. In estimating costs, take into account (a) fees for basic services, (b) fees for needed additional services, (c) likely annual increases in fees, and (d) the possibility that the resident’s need for additional services may increase over time. Most residents are private-pay or covered in part by long-term care insurance. There are some Medicaid-Waiver beds in New Jersey, but most go to residents who have already been living in the residence on private pay for at least two years and have spent all their assets.
Most Assisted Living facilities offer short-term respite care for those living in their home community when their caregivers need to be away. There is usually a minimum length of stay of 3–7 days. This can be a good way to try it out. Be clear about the person’s level of need, and understand the fee structure. Plan ahead as you have to do all the regular admissions paperwork. Respite care rooms are furnished.
Many Assisted Living communities also have a separate, secure unit for people with memory problems.
In New Jersey, assisted living facilities must meet definitions and standards defined by the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services, which is the licensing body. You may also find the website of the Assisted Living Federation of America (ALFA) www.alfa.org.
The websites www.aboutassistedliving.org and www.helpguide.org/articles/senior-housing/assisted-living-facilities.htm have information about assisted living communities in all states.
Local Assisted Living Facilities
Note: Many CCRC’s also accept residents directly into their Assisted Living units. This includes Stonebridge, Meadow Lakes, and Parker in Monroe.
- The Clare Estate Independent & Assisted Living. 201 Crosswicks Ave., Bordentown, NJ 08505, 609.298.9960 theclareestate.com
- The Chelsea Assisted Living at East Brunswick 606 Cranbury Rd., East Brunswick, NJ 08816, 732.651.6100 chelseaseniorliving.com. The Crossings Program addresses the unique needs of residents with behavioral health needs.
- Sunrise Assisted Living 190 Summerhill Rd., East Brunswick, NJ 08816, 732.613.1355 sunriseseniorliving.com
- Abrams Residence at Greenwood House 53 Walter St., Ewing NJ, 08628, 609.883.5391 greenwoodhouse.org (kosher)
- Monmouth Crossing 560 Iron Bridge Rd., Freehold, NJ 07728, 732.303.8600 https://www.monmouthcrossing.com/
- CareOne at Hamilton 1660 Whitehorse-Hamilton Square Rd., Hamilton, NJ 08690, 609.586.4600 care-one.com
- Emeritus Hillsboro (Brookdale) 600 Auten Rd., Hillsboro, NJ 08844, 908.431.1300 brookdale.com/communities/emeritus-hillsborough/
- Avalon at Hillsboro 393 Amwell Rd., Hillsborough, NJ 08844, 908.874.7200 bridgewayseniorcare.com/assisted_living
- St. Mary’s Assisted Living at Morris Hall 1 Bishops Dr., Lawrenceville, NJ 08648, 609.896.0060 x 2278 morrishall.org
- Brookdale Monroe (formerly Chelsea at Forsgate) 380 Forsgate Dr., Monroe Twp., NJ 08831, 609.409.7525 brookdale.com/en/communities/brookdale-monroe-nj.html
- Brandywine Senior Living at Princeton, 155 Raymond Rd., Princeton, NJ 08540, 732.329.8888. brandycare.com/communities/Princeton
- Brandywine Senior Living at Stony Brook Assisted Living 143 West Franklin Ave., Pennington, NJ 08534, 609.730.9922 brandycare.com/communities/Pennington
- Atrium at Forrestal, 1000 Windrow Dr., Princeton, NJ 08540, 609.514.9111 thepavilionsatforrestal.com
- Acorn Glen 775 Mt. Lucas Rd., Princeton, NJ 08540, 609.430.4000 acornglen.com
- Rose Hill Assisted Living 1150 Washington Blvd., Robbinsville, NJ 08691, 609.371.7007 rosehillassistedliving.com
- Spring Hills 473 DeMott Ln., Somerset, NJ 08873, 732.873.4800, 732.733.4239 spring-hills.com
- Stein Assisted Living Residence( kosher) 350 DeMott La., Somerset, NJ 08873, 732.568.1155 steinresidence.org
- Bear Creek Assisted Living 291 Village Rd., East, West Windsor, NJ 08550, 609.918.1075 bearcreekassistedliving.com/
- Chandler Hall 99 Barclay St., Newtown, PA 18940, 215.710.0557 chandlerhall.org Assisted living, skilled nursing, adult day care, hospice. Affiliated with Kendal Communities.
- The Birches at Newtown, 70 Durham Rd., Newtown, PA 18940, 215.497.7400 thebirchesatnewtown.com. Personal care and memory care.
Facilities Specializing in Alzheimer’s and Dementia Care:
- Clare Bridge of Hamilton (Brookdale) 1645 Whitehorse-Mercerville Rd., Hamilton, NJ 08619, 609.586.4000 brookdaleliving.com
- Millenium Memory Care, 310 Buckelew Ave., Monroe Township, NJ 08831, 609.521.8855 millenniummemorycare.com/
- Parker at Monroe 395 Schoolhouse Rd., Monroe Twp., NJ 08831, 732.992.5200 franciseparker.com/parker-at-monroe
- Artis Senior Living of Princeton, 861 Alexander Rd., Princeton, NJ 08540, 609.454.0047 artisseniorliving.com/senior-living/nj/princeton/artis-senior-living-of-princeton
- Fox Trail Memory Care Living, 181 Washington Rd., Princeton, NJ 08540, 609.250.0509 memorycareliving.com/princeton
- Fox Trail Memory Care Living 38 North Central Ave., Ramsen, NJ 07446, 201.308.2337 memorycareliving.com/
- Arden Courts 493 Stony Hill Rd., Yardley, PA 19067, 215.321-.6166 arden-courts.com
The Princeton Senior Resource Center does not endorse any of the resources listed on these pages. We collect and provide information from many sources as a service to those seeking services in the Princeton area. No listed provider pays to be in our directory.