[tribe_mini_calendar category="main" count="0"]
Downsizing & Moving
There are many resources to assist you in downsizing, organizing, and recycling what you no longer need. One example: yourstoragefinder.com/moving-tips-for-seniors
NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF SENIOR MOVE MANAGERS
- Dedicated to helping older adults and their families with the physical and emotional aspects of moving
NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZERS
- Assistance with organization and downsizing.
SENIOR REAL ESTATE SPECIALISTS
Seniors Real Estate Specialists® are REALTORS® qualified to address the needs of home buyers age 55-plus. By earning the SRES® designation, your realtor has demonstrated necessary knowledge and expertise to counsel clients age 55-plus through major financial and lifestyle transitions involved in relocating, refinancing, or selling the family home. To find a SRES realtor, go to seniorsrealestate.com
A HOME THAT WORKS FOR YOU
- Cyndi Kawabata, Professional Organizer
ADVANCED SENIOR RELOCATION
- Assistance with preparing home for sale, selling, cleaning out contents, or buying a new home.
BB’s CLUTTER SOLUTIONS
- Cherry Hill NJ based
- Assistance with moving & downsizing
- CRTS certified
- 510 Center St., Barrington, NJ 08007
CLEANING FOR A REASON
- This nonprofit offers free professional housecleaning, and maid services to improve the lives of women undergoing treatment for cancer — any type of cancer.
GOODWILL ESTATE CLEANOUT
- $300 donation required
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assistance with downsizing, moving, and profitably disposing of things you don’t need.
- Certificate in Senior Move Management (cSMM)
NATURAL ORDER DESIGN
- Professional organizing solutions for your home and office
- Ellen Tozzi
ORGANIZED TO A “T”
- Decorating, organizing, event planning
- 609.240.1647, 609.273.4191
STARS REFERRAL SERVICES
- Help with downsizing and moving, deciding what to take, dispersal of the rest, new layout.
SUZANNE C. NEILSON SENIOR SERVICES
- Personal and general organizing
- Email: email@example.com
- estate, moves, downsizing, full service
- PO Box 993, Piscataway, NJ 08855
Walsh Senior Solutions — Downsize, Move Forward
- John Walsh, Founder and certified Senior Move Manager by the National Association of Senior Move Managers (NASMM.org)
- 353 Nassau St., Princeton, NJ 08540
- Email: John.Walsh@WalshSeniorSolutions.com
YOUR HOME & I, Charlene Laws
- Declutter and organize
- Haul away unwanted items.
A TRUCK & TWO GUYS
- Haul away unwanted items including appliances, construction debris, and yard waste.
Also look in the yellow pages telephone directory under “hauling.”
- A fellowship of men and women helping each other to recover from their common problem with clutter.
DIGGING OUT BLOG
- A blog from the Philadelphia Inquirer reporter Jane M. Von Bergen.
- Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoardingb by David F. Tolin, Randy O. Frost, Gail Steketee
- Additional: masshousingrental.com/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=330&&PageID=13463&mode=2
PLACES TO DONATE, SELL, AND RECYCLE
PRINCETON SENIOR RESOURCE CENTER
- Eyeglasses and hearing aids. We also accept durable medical equipment at Spruce Circle for the Goodwill Home Medical Equipment Store.
- Sell your books and selected other stuff on Amazon.com
- South Jersey Auction 856.467.4834 southjerseyauction.com
- Stephensons 215.322.6182 stephensonsauction.com
- Brown Brothers 215.794.7630 brownbrosauction.com
- Store recycles CRT televisions and other electronics
BRYN MAWR BOOK SALE
- Books, books on tape or CD, audio tapes, and commercial videotapes or DVDs
CAR DONATION — VEHICLE AND BOAT DONATIONS
Donate an unwanted vehicle or boat and get a tax deduction.
- CARS (charitable adult rides & services) 855.500.7433 or 855.500.RIDE
- IRS information on tax deductions for car donations: irs.gov/charities-non-profits/charitable-organizations/irs-guidance-explains-rules-for-vehicle-donations
Consignment shops take goods they can sell, and pay you a percentage of the selling price when the items sell. Often they will reduce the selling price if the items is unsold for a certain period of time. What one shop will not take, another one will, as they serve different types of customers. Look around the store to see what kind of merchandise they accept and their pricing structure. Consignment prices are considerably less than new merchandise, and are based on market demand. Call or check the shop’s website for their policies and to make an appointment to bring in your goods.
- Green Street Consignment Store. Clothing. 162 Nassau St., Princeton 609.924.1990 greenestreetstores.com
- Nearly New . Clothing. 234 Nassau St., Princeton (609) 924-5720
- One-of-a-Kind Consigment. Home furnishings. Princeton Shopping Center, 301 North Harrison St., Princeton 609.924.1227 oneofakindconsignment.com/
- Princeton Consignment Boutique. Clothing. 1378 US Highway 206, Skillman, NJ 08558 609.924.2288.
CONSUMER ELECTRONICS ASSOCIATION
CORNERSTONE COMMUNITY KITCHEN
- Clothing Store at the Methodist Church on Nassau St. and Vandeventer
- Accepts men’s, women’s, children’s clothing; accessories such as shoes, pocketbooks, belts, scarves; bed and bath linens, children’s books; toys, stuffed animals; toiletries; new cosmetics.
- Donations of shopping bags also appreciated.
- Free classified listings for items for sale or give-aways
DRESS FOR SUCCESS
Accepts women’s clothing suitable for business, for women entering or reentering the work force.
- Dress for Success Mercer County
- 3131 Princeton Pike, Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Auction sale of anything: ebay.com
- Tracy Ashcroft Princeton Estate Sales 609.571.6747
- John Rigby LCS Estate Liquidations 609.394.4939
- Shaun Quinn Estate Treasures Auctions 908.246.9852
Looking to give away items too good to throw out but not worth the effort of trying to sell them? Recycle them on Freecycle. Find stuff you can use there, too.
- Clothing, electronics, household items, toys
GOODWILL HOME MEDICAL EQUIPMENT
- Rehabilitation equipment and medical supplies
- 18 Arctic Parkway, Ewing, NJ 08638
- New Jersey Hearing Aid Project, Montclair State University, 1515 Broad St., Bldg. B, Bloomfield, NJ 07003
- See others in Hearing section
HOME FRONT (assistance for homeless people)
- Clothing, household items, furniture
- 609.989.9417, ext. 127 for pickup of large furniture in Mercer County only
MERCER COUNTY IMPROVEMENT AUTHORITY
- County recycling, hazardous waste disposal, MercerMAX materials Exchange
PICK UP PLEASE (Vietman Veterans)
- Clothing, household goods, small appliances, electronics, toys, etc.
- The items they collect are offered for resale through dealers, such as the Red White & Blue store on Nottingham Way in Trenton.
PRINCETON PUBLIC LIBRARY BOOK SALE
- Computer equipment (residents only)
RESTORE — HABITAT FOR HUMANITY, TRENTON
- Accepts and resells building materials, working appliances and furnishings
- 106 Ewing St., Trenton, NJ 08609
- Printer ink cartridges
- Take them to your local Staples store and get a $2 Staples rebate by mail.
WOMANSPACE (assistance to victims of domestic abuse)
- Clothing, personal items for women and children
- For a list of needed items: womanspace.org/donations/other-things-we-need/
The National Association of Realtors has created a credential for SENIOR REAL ESTATE SPECIALIST. These agents have demonstrated that they have the necessary knowledge to counsel clients 50+ through major financial and lifestyle transitions in relocating, refinancing, and selling their home. To find someone in your area, contact the association at:
The Princeton Senior Resource Center does not endorse any of the resources listed on these pages. We collect and provide information from many sources as a service to those seeking services in the Princeton area. No listed provider pays to be in our directory.