Hospice programs provide a variety of medical, social, spiritual, and caregiving support services for patients near the end of life and for those who care for them. Most patients are able to remain at home with this support, and most services are currently covered by Medicare. Some have in-patient care though care is usually provided in the home.
Unlike traditional medical care which focuses on cure and treatment of conditions, palliative care is a philosophy of care for people with a serious condition which focuses on comfort, pain management, and quality of life. It does not require being near the end of life (as does hospice), and can be provided at the same time as curative and life-prolonging treatment.
There are several websites which help explain palliative care and hospice, such as:
NEW JERSEY HOSPICE & PALLIATIVE CARE ORGANIZATION
- Find a hospice in NJ, general information, veterans benefits
- 175 Glenside Ave., Scotch Plains, NJ 07076
- In-home, in assisted living community of health care facility
- Affiliate of Care One
- 70 Jackson Dr., Suite 200, Cranford, NJ 07016
- 908.931.9068, or 866.821.1212
COMPASSIONATE CARE HOSPICE
- Inpatient: St Francis Medical Center, 601 Hamilton Ave., Trenton, NJ 08629
- For intake or to make a referral: 800.844.4774
- Outpatient: 600 Highland Dr., Suite 624, Westampton, NJ 08060
- 800.844.4774 or 609.267.1178
GREENWOOD HOUSE SENIOR HEALTHCARE, HOSPICE
Greenwood hospice puts families and patients at the center of care and keeps the patient: staff ratio low to ensure uniquely personalized care.
25 Scotch Rd., Suite I, Ewing, NJ 08628
- In-home care, assisted living, and long term care facilities
- 242 Old New Brunswick Rd., Piscataway, NJ 08854
PRINCETON HEALTHCARE SYSTEM / HOSPICE PROGRAM
- 208 Bunn Dr., Princeton, NJ 08540
SAMARITAN HOSPICE (in home only)
- 5 Eves Dr., Suite 300, Marlton, NJ 08053
- 56 Georgetown Rd., Bordentown, NJ 08505
STEIN JEWISH HOSPICE
- Part of Wilf Campus for Senior Living, Somerset, NJ
VNA HOMECARE OF MERCER COUNTY, COMMUNITY HOSPICE
- 171 Jersey St., PO box 441, Trenton, Nj 08603
- Intensive Comfort Care — alternative to hospitalization, up to 24 hr care in home
The Princeton Senior Resource Center does not endorse any of the resources listed on these pages. We collect and provide information from many sources as a service to those seeking services in the Princeton area. No listed provider pays to be in our directory.