[tribe_mini_calendar category="main" count="0"]
Identity Theft, Fraud, Scams
Do not give any personal information (birthdate, social security, bank account number, etc.) in response to an email or phone call. If you suspect you have been a victim of identity theft, call your local police, credit card companies, banks, investment companies, licensing agencies, and social security administration. You can also call the Federal Trade Commission at 1.877.438.4338. Take careful notes and record the names and phone numbers of each person you talk to.
For information on what to do in New Jersey, call Consumer Affairs or go to nj.gov/lps/ca/idtheft.htm. This website lists phone numbers for the three major credit reporting companies as well as a list of steps to take if you believe you are a victim of identity theft.
Other sources of help:
DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
- You can reduce telemarketer calls by going to the Do Not Call Registry
FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION
- Consumer Alerts: ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt063.shtm
- To file a complaint: ftccomplaintassistant.gov/
- General consumer information: ftc.gov/bcp/consumer.shtm
- How to avoid financial scams
- How to avoid and detect identity theft, internet scams, consumer ripoffs, con jobs, and investment schemes
FREE CREDIT REPORT
- Annual Credit Report Request Service
- PO Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348
HOME IMPROVEMENT FRAUD PREVENTION
NEW JERSEY DEPARTMENT OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS
Key resource for consumer safety. Health care profiles on the state’s medical doctors, optometrists, and podiatrists, as well as other consumer information and assistance.
- Mercer County Consumer Affairs 609.989.6671
- NJ Consumer Affairs 800.242.5846 or 973.504.6375
- To file a complaint: nj.gov/oag/ca/comp.htm
- Anti-fraud toolkit: FightingFraud.nj.gov
- Safe Care Cam — Provides a micro-surveillance camera for brief loan when customer suspects abuse or neglect by a healthcare provider in the home.
You can opt out of pre-approved credit card offers by calling OPT OUT or visiting their website:
- 888.5OPTOUT (888.567.8688)
- Lock access to your credit accounts to prevent identity theft.
- New Jersey Dividion of Community Affairs
Check out rumors and stories on the internet to see if they are true. Check especially the section on fraud: