There are many capable attorneys in the area so we do not list individuals. Elder law attorneys can be found through the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys Registry naela.org or local referral sources listed below.
An Estate is the tangible assets of real and property belonging to someone.
A Will is the written legal document for distribution of someone’s property.
A Trust enables the transfer of property without going through probate(legate process).
A Durable Power of Attorney is a written document in which a person appoints someone else to act on his/her behalf. Most commonly, one is made for health care decisions and one for financial decisions.
A Living Will indicates your thoughts about the decisions you would like to have made at the end of life.
An Advance Directive often includes Power of Attorney and Living Will.
There are templates for these documents on line. Each state has different regulations about whether you can create it yourself or if you need an attorney. Some people prefer the Five Wishes documents which can be found at agingwithdignity.org/
It is also recommended that you write a HIPAA release, which gives your doctors permission to discuss your medical information with the people you specify. This can help in a situation when you are able to make decisions for yourself but others need to be included to help you get the treatment you need.
Legal planning for dementia: justgreatlawyers.com/legal-planning-dementia-alzheimers
AARP LEGAL SERVICES NETWORK
- Members are entitled to a free 30-minute legal consultation with a local attorney who meets AARP standards. Reduced fees for simple wills, powers of attorney, and other legal services.
- For a list of local participating attorneys look in your Yellow Pages in the “Associations,” “Attorneys,” or “Lawyers” sections, and then under the heading “AARP — Legal Services Network.”
- LSN Fulfillment, PO Box 100084, Pittsburgh, PA 15233
- List also available online at aarp.org/LSN
ADULT PROTECTIVE SERVICES
Abuse & neglect: See Government Services or State of New Jersey Department of Human Services state.nj.us/humanservices/doas/services/aps/
ALLLAW.COM — Wills, Trusts, Estates
- extensive collection of resources on legal topics
CENTRAL NEW JERSEY LEGAL SERVICES PROJECT FOR THE ELDERLY
- Provides legal advice and/or representation in non-fee gathering matters: power of attorney, wills for small estates, Social Security and Medicare problems, consumer matters, tenants’ rights, divorces, property problems. For Mercer County residents aged 60 and over.
- Call for appointments at the office or at the Lawrence Library.
- 198 W. State St., Trenton, NJ 08608.
COMMUNITY HEALTH LAW PROJECT
- CHLP represents elderly and disabled who are unable to afford the services of private attorneys. CHLP attorneys, social service advocates, and volunteers serve vulnerable people who are in crisis and at risk of losing their homes, their income, their health care, and other essential components of their lives. Must be income-eligible (75% poverty level).
- 225 E. State St., Trenton, 08608
COMMUNITY JUSTICE CENTER
- Legal assistance for disabled low income people and veterans, including help obtaining veterans or social security benefits
- 310 W. State St., Trenton, 08618
- 198 W. State St., Trenton, NJ 08608
LEGAL COUNSEL FOR THE ELDERLY
This organization, which provides legal services for the elderly in Washington DC, has a number of publications for sale on its web site: aarp.org/states/dc/LCE.html%E2%80%8E/
LEGAL SERVICES OF NEW JERSEY
- 100 Metroplex Dr., Suite 402, Edison, NJ 08817
- Free legal help over the phone for low-income people. Includes HCAP program for problems with healthcare system.
- Web site: eldercare.gov
MEDINA LAW GROUP
- Victor J. Medina 609.818.0068
- 230 West Delaware Ave., Pennington, NJ 08534
- Email: email@example.com
MERCER COUNTY LAWYER REFERRAL SERVICE (BAR ASSOC.)
- Prepares wills, if referred through CJLSP for eligibility, (see above), referrals for Power of Attorney.
- In-home service for the elderly homebound and other services provided.
- 1245 Whitehorse-Mercerville Rd., Suite 420, Mercerville, NJ 08619.
Mercer County Connection office. Second Thursday 5:30–7:00 p.m. Attorneys give 15 minutes free legal advice or direction to Mercer County residents.
MERCER COUNTY SURROGATE’S OFFICE
- Probate of wills, administration of estates, appointment of guardian for incapacitated persons, contested will filings
- Surrogate schedules monthly sessions at the Princeton Township Building, currently the 4th Thursday of the month 9:30–11:30 a.m. Call 609.989.6336 for appointment, and for other locations.
- 175 S. Broad St., Rm 420, Trenton, NJ 08608
MID-ATLANTIC PENSION RIGHTS PROJECT
- Administration on Aging, providing free pension and retirement savings plan counseling and assistance.
- The Public Advocate Office, serving New York & New Jersey
- 1 Centre St., 15th Floor, New York, NY 10007
NATIONAL ACADEMY OF ELDER LAW ATTORNEYS REGISTRY
- For a referral to a local elderlaw attorney:
NEW JERSEY DIVISION OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS
- “Do Not Call” registry, complaints about businesses and agencies — credentials home and facility care workers, fraud, consumer protection
- Elder Fraud Hotline 877.746.7850,. Consumer Protection Hotline 800.242.5846
NEW JERSEY STATE BAR FOUNDATION
- Publishes guides, videos and on-line audios on topics for seniors including wills, and law points for seniors, including eldercare, grandparents rights, disabilities, and age discrimination at work. Use the search function to seek out information on specific issues. The web site below is for the comprehensive brochure “Law Points for Senior Citizens“.
OMBUDSMAN & ADVOCATE:
See Government Agencies
ROTHKOFF LAW GROUP
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
VAN DYCK LAW
- Fiona Van Dyck 609.454.6259
- 707 State Rd., Suite 102, Princeton, NJ 08540
- Email: email@example.com
VICTIM / WITNESS ADVOCACY PROGRAM
- Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office
- Assist persons who are victims of violent crime
- Liaison for persons needing assistance who are victims of crime and want compensation
- 609.989.6428 or 609.989.6274
- Victims of domestic violence, call 609.989.6810
VOLUNTEER LAWYERS FOR JUSTICE
- Free legal services to under-served residents
Look also in the Financial Planning section for related links on Estate Planning.
The Princeton Senior Resource Center does not endorse any of the resources listed on these pages. We collect and provide information from many sources as a service to those seeking services in the Princeton area. No listed provider pays to be in our directory.