Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation
Nursing homes are considered when the level of care needed includes skilled nursing care, 24 hour personal care, and/or full assistance with moving from bed to chair (“two-person transfer”). Sometimes temporary rehabilitation care in a nursing home or rehabilitation center is necessary to follow-up after surgery or a major health event. Most nursing homes are based on a medical model of care, with an emphasis on medical care and various therapies, (occupational, physical, and recreational), as well as social support. There is a licensed nurse on duty at all times. Most are for-profit organizations, while some are nonprofit. Nursing homes are licensed and regulated by the State of New Jersey. Fees are covered by private pay, Medicaid, and/or health insurance, including Medicare and long-term care insurance.
Acute rehabilitation is generally located in a hospital. The patient is under the care of a physiatrist who directs the team of rehabilitation professionals. They provide around-the-clock intensive rehabilitation up to three hours a day, six days a week.
Sub-acute rehabilitation takes place in a skilled nursing or rehabilitation facility. It is less intense and less comprehensive. Patients must be able to actively participate in three hours of rehabilitation per day and expect to return home in 2–4 weeks.
The New Jersey Health & Senior Services www.state.nj.us/health/healthfacilities and the Medicare website http://medicare.gov lists local facilities and their most recent state inspection performance.
For information about recognizing and dealing with nursing home abuse and neglect, go to www.nursinghomeabusecenter.org or www.nursinghomeabusecenter.com. Every state has a Public Advocate for residents in care.
AARP has created a guide to looking for the right facility, called “Nursing Homes: What to Ask.” Search for “nursing home checklist.”
ARCADIA NURSING AND REHABILITATION CENTER
- 1501 Highway 33, Hamilton Square, NJ 08690
ATRIUM AT FORRESTAL
- 5000 Windrows Dr., Princeton, NJ 08540
ATRIUM POST ACUTE CARE OF LAWRENCEVILLE
- 112 Franklin Corner Rd., Lawrenceville, NJ 8648
CARE ONE AT HAMILTON
- 1660 Whitehorse-Hamilton Square Rd., Hamilton, NJ 08690
CRANBURY GENESIS ELDERCARE
- 292 Applegarth Rd,, Monroe Township, NJ 08831
- Genesis Eldercare web site: genesishcc.com/
ELMS OF CRANBURY
- 61 Maplewood Ave., Cranbury, NJ 08512
FRANCIS E. PARKER HOME
- 1421 River Rd., Piscataway, NJ 08854-5818
PARKER HOME MONROE
- Based on Eden Alternative care
- 395 Schoolhouse Road, Monroe Township, NJ 08831
THE GARDENS AT MONROE (formerly Applegarth Care Center)
- 189 Applegarth Dr., Monroe Township, NJ 08831
GREENWOOD HOUSE SENIOR HEALTHCARE
- 53 Walter St., Ewing, NJ 08628
HAMILTON CONTINUING CARE
- 1059 Edinburg Rd., Hamilton, NJ 08690
HAMILTON GROVE CENTER
- 2300 Hamilton Ave., Hamilton, NJ 08690
MERCERVILLE CENTER (GENESIS)
- 2240 Whitehorse Mercerville Rd., Mercerville, NJ 08619
MERCER STREET FRIENDS ADULT FAMILY CARE PROGRAM
- Provides an alternative to institutional or nursing home care for frail, disabled, or elderly persons. Clients are placed with a trained caregiver who provides room, board, and personal care services. Supportive health and social services are provided. Licensed by the State of New Jersey Department of Health & Senior Services.
- income guidelines apply
MERWICK CARE CENTER — PRINCETON HEALTHCARE SYSTEM
- 100 Plainsboro Rd., Plainsboro NJ 08536
MORRIS HALL — St. Joseph’s
- 1 Bishops’ Dr., Lawrenceville, NJ 08619
MORRIS HALL MEADOWS AT LAWRENCEVILLE
- Morris Hall Circle Dr., Lawrenceville, NJ 08648-across from St. Lawrence Rehab, part of their continuum of care
- Registered Green House®
PARK PLACE CENTER (GENESIS)
- 2 Deerpark Dr., Monmouth Jct., NJ 08852
PREFERRED CARE AT MERCER (formerly CARE ONE AT EWING)
- 1201 Parkway Ave., Ewing, NJ 08628
PRINCETON CARE CENTER
- 728 Bunn Dr., Princeton, NJ 08540
Additionally, many of the Continuing Care Retirement Communities will admit private pay patients directly into their skilled nursing facilities. Click here CCRC’s.
The Princeton Senior Resource Center does not endorse any of the resources listed on these pages. We collect and provide information from many sources as a service to those seeking services in the Princeton area. No listed provider pays to be in our directory.