The Greater Mercer TMA has the most up-to-date information about transportation options and linkage in Mercer County gmtma.org/
Princeton also intends to have GoPrinceton running soon for information on various options and how they link up.
- Offers people with disabilities paratransit service which is comparable to the local bus service. Mini-buses and wheelchair-accessible vans are used.
- Each person must be certified at one of the New Jersey Transit Access Link certifying agencies.
- 800.955.2321 for more information and to receive an information packet
- 800.955.6765 for TTY calls
AMERICAN AUTOMOBILE ASSOCIATION
AAA has offered several programs and brochures for older drivers. Go to your local office or aaafoundation.org/
- Information and tips, including when to give up the keys.
- Free brochures include:
- How to Help an Older Driver
- The Older and Wiser Driver
- Drivers 55 Plus: Test Your Own Performance
- Flexibility Fitness Training for Improving Older Driver Performance
- CARFIT: A 12-point evaluation program that helps senior drivers determine if their vehicle is the right “fit” for their physical condition and driving style. CARFIT events are offered periodically by the AAA Mid Atlantic Foundation.
- Roadwise Review: an interactive CD that measures physical and mental abilities shown to be the strongest predictors of crash risk among older adults. Available at local AAA retail offices.
- DriveSharp: a pair of visual memory computer games that improves vision for driving. Available at drivesharp.com/aaaf/index
- Pick up and drop off service
- 116 Village Blvd., Princeton, NJ 08540
- Door-to-door transportation for Princeton residents 65 years and older or disabled who do not drive. Rides provided by car, but you must register first with Princeton Senior Resource Center at 609.252.2362 or 609.751.9699.
- Transports residents of Princeton to medical and other destinations in Princeton. There are also a few approved medical offices outside Princeton — call for details. Free to Penn Medicine Princeton Health (hospital) and rehab (prescription for rehab therapy is required).
- Call 609.252.2362 or 609.751.9699 to register for the program and purchase $3 vouchers. Then call Ride Provide at 609.452.5144 to schedule a ride.
- Rides provided: 8:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m., Monday–Friday — Priority will be given to medical rides.
- Must make reservations at 1–2 days in advance. Call between 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. Monday–Friday to schedule a ride.
- Fees are subsidized by the municipalities. Payment is by voucher only. Each voucher costs $3 (the cost of a one-way ride), payable by cash, credit card, money order, or check made out to the Princeton Senior Resource Center. Vouchers may be purchased at PSRC’s 45 Stockton Street or Spruce Circle offices, or at Elm Court or online at princetonol.com/~psrc/crosstown-transportation/
- In 2015, a few medical destinations in Plainsboro and Lawrenceville were added. Call for details.
- AAA Senior Driving — go to seniordriving.aaa.com/
- AARP Safe Driving Course — call local AARP office or go to aarp.org/drive/online
- AARP Car Fit car-fit.org/ or aarp.org/home-garden/transportation/driver_safety/
- DMV Medical Fitness Review Section dmv.com/nj/new-jersey/senior-drivers
- Partsgeek.com driver safety guide partsgeek.com/mmparts/the_aging_drivers_safety_guide.html
- St. Lawrence Rehabilitation Center, Lawrenceville, NJ 08648, 609.896.9500, ext. 2494 Professional assessment of driving abilities. A referral from your doctor is need.
- Website with several helpful links:getinsurancequotes.ca/guide-to-safe-driving-for-seniors
- Another helpful website with links: sandiegoduiattorneynow.com/senior-driver-safety-and-elderly-resources/
EZ Pass Senior Discount
Senior discounts are available on New Jersey Turnpike tolls through the EZ Pass system. For information, go to the New Jersey EZ Pass website:
- Ryde4Life Program — transportation for older adults with Lyft/Uber
- Age 50+
- Schedule rides with Lyft/Uber 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. Monday–Friday
- Annual membership fee $15 + $1 per ride (waived for PAAD participants)
- 866.208.1307, option 4
The freeB is a small free bus that runs a loop around Princeton during the day and to the train station during commuter hours. The schedule is posted at: princetonnj.gov/resources/free-jitney-shuttle. It is funded by the municipality of Princeton, overseen by GMTMA and contracted out to Stout’s Bus Service.
GO GO GRANDPARENT
- Schedule rides with Lyft/Uber; 24/7 operators, text alerts to family if desired.
- Fee based on length of ride
GREATER MERCER TMA
Greater Mercer TMA is a nonprofit, public private partnership dedicated to reducing traffic congestion and improving mobility in and around Mercer County. Established in 1984, our association consists of large and small employers, local governments, authorities, and state agencies who share a commitment to providing transportation choices that are good for commuters, good for business and good for the environment.
- 15 Roszel Rd. South, Suite 101, Princeton, NJ 08540
- Schedules for the FreeB, NJ Transit Buses and Trains on their Web site: gmtma.org/
- Ride service
LOGISTICARE MEDICAL TRANSPORTATION
- Accessible medical transportation for those on State Medicaid Assistance
- For ride to medical appointments, contact case manager or call 866.527.9933.
MCAT — Middlesex County Area Transit
The Middlesex County Area Transit provides transportation to seniors (60+), disabled and other transportation dependent residents of Middlesex County. Transportation is provided within the County and up to 5 miles outside the County. This area includes University Medical Center at Princeton.
- 711 Jersey Ave., New Brunswick, New Jersey 08901
- Reservations — 800.221.3520
NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION
- Information about best practices, resources, adapting vehicles and more
NEW JERSEY TRANSIT REDUCED FARE PROGRAM
- Seniors (62 and older) and the disabled can ride NJT trains, light rail & buses for 50% or more reduction in fare.
- You must show your Medicare card or NJ Transit Reduced Fare ID or other accepted ID. NJ Transit Reduced Fare ID’s can be obtained from local banks or:
- NJ TRANSIT Reduced Fare Program
180 Boyden Ave.
Maplewood, NJ 07040
- NJ TRANSIT Reduced Fare Program
- To get a reduced fare on an interstate bus not marked NJ Transit, obtain coupons from local banks or savings and loan associations.
- Make your smartphone your travel pass at njtransit.com/mytix
NJ Find A Ride
- GO WHERE YOU NEED TO GO!
- njfindaride.org is a valuable resource that enables people to search an electronic database of transportation providers to find a ride.
PRIVATE MEDICAL TRANSPORTATION PROVIDERS
- ABBA medical transportation 732.583.1121
- ABLE 800.323.2253
- Alert Ambulance 732.364.2856
- Right Hand 908.331.2719
- Annual membership fee of $40 ($60 per family) plus per-ride fee
- Anywhere in Mercer County, Plainsboro, southern portion of Montgomery
- Per-person, each way fees based on zones traveled $8, $12, $17, or $20 for further travels
- $5 fee for rides before 8 am
- 15 Roszel Rd., Princeton, NJ 08540
- 609.452.5140 for more information, 609.452.5144 to schedule rides
SENIOR CARE SERVICES OF GREATER PRINCETON (formerly Senior Care Ministry & Senior Care Services of NJ)
- Transportation is provided in private cars for health- and medical-related appointments within a ten-mile radius of the center of Princeton. These include appointments with doctors, dentists, podiatrists, optometrists, and audiologists, cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation, physical therapy, diagnostic testing, and prescription pick up. Clients must be ambulatory and require minimal assistance since the drivers are not trained to provide assistance.
- Provides limited transportation for grocery shopping, limited medical transportation, and friendly visiting
- PO Box 1517, Princeton, NJ 08542
- 609.921.8888 — leave a message on the answering machine if no answer
T.R.A.D.E. (Transportation Resources to Aid Disadvantaged and Elderly)
- Mercer County supported program to provide transportation assistance at no cost to elderly, low-income or disabled County residents. However, a voluntary $1 contribution for each ride is requested.
- Daily door-to-door service from home to nutrition site, medical and other appointments. Schedule two weeks in advance.
- Wheelchair van available on request. No fee.
For transportation in other townships, please call your local senior center.
The Princeton Senior Resource Center does not endorse any of the resources listed on these pages. We collect and provide information from many sources as a service to those seeking services in the Princeton area. No listed provider pays to be in our directory.