AUDIO BOOKS, BOOKS ON TAPE
Purchase or download audio books from:
The world’s largest online library of digital books for people with “print disabilities.” Proof of disability required.
Provides medical and surgical care for the eyes of financially disadvantaged people age 65 years or over. Program does not include eyeglasses. Patient’s insurance company is billed directly; patients pay nothing. No one is turned away for lack of insurance. For more information, contact Princeton Senior Resources Center, 609.751.9699. Additional requirements: must be a U.S. citizen or legal resident; show financial need; have not seen an ophthalmologist in the last three years.
MERCER COUNTY WELLNESS PROGRAM
- Check Mercer County Health or ADRC 609.989.6661
MACULAR VISION RESEARCH FOUNDATION
- 300 Barr Harbor Dr., Suite 600, West Conshohocken, PA 19428
- 866.462.2852 or 610.668.6705
MISSION CATARACT USA
- free cataract surgery for those who can not pay and have no insurance
NATIONAL FOUNDATION FOR THE BLIND
Information and publications about vision loss. Resources, products, and technology to assist blind persons.
NFB Newsline is a free service for those who cannot read newspapers. Over 300 newspapers available by phone or at:
- One Tower Bridge, 100 Front St., Suite 300, West Conshohocken, PA 19428
NATIONAL LIBRARY SERVICE FOR THE BLIND & PHYSICALLY HANDICAPPED
A program of the Library of Congress, providing loans of books, magazines, and music through local libraries.
- 888 NLS-READ (888.657.7323)
NEW EYES FOR THE NEEDY
Provides new prescription eyeglasses to the needy through a voucher program.
- 549 Millburn Ave., Short Hills, NJ 07078
NJ COMMISSION FOR THE BLIND & VISUALLY IMPAIRED
The Commission’s goal is to provide and promote services through education, employment, eye health services. Will do in-home assessments.
- 732.648.3333 or 877.685.8878
NEW JERSEY DIVISION OF DISABILITY SERVICES SCILS PROGRAM
- Collaboration with NJ Commission (CBVI)
- Matches visually impaired seniors with volunteers who provide support, assistance, friendship.
NEW JERSEY STATE LIBRARY TALKING BOOK AND BRAILLE CENTER
Talking books, large print books, Braille, books on tape, audio vision, and more. Also deaf and hard of hearing services. FREE.
- 2300 Stuyvesant Ave., Trenton, NJ 08625
ONSITE EYE CARE
Will travel to assisted living facilities, nursing homes, independent senior residences, and private homes. Can examine and individual who cannot speak due to a stroke or memory issue.
- 11 Parsonage Way, Manalapan Township, NJ 07726
Self help for vision loss, including use of the telephone and computers.
- Free vision exams
See also: Assistive Technology
The Princeton Senior Resource Center does not endorse any of the resources listed on these pages. We collect and provide information from many sources as a service to those seeking services in the Princeton area. No listed provider pays to be in our directory.